Raven Reads: Rebecca's Book Blog!

Just a bibliophile's blog about books!

A Court of Wings and Ruin - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thrones and Roses Series Spoiler Free Review

Months ago, I embarked on a journey to finally read the ACOTAR series. Earlier this week I finally finished that adventure and let me tell you: I was not disappointed.

I began reading ACOTAR because everybody on the internet was obsessed with them, everyone was obsessed with Rhysand. I held out, however, for a very long time. Why? Because I was very disappointed with the Throne of Glass series that I DNFed after a 100 pages of Empire of Storms. That being said, I did not want to get so invested into a Sarah J Maas series only to have my heart crushed by characters being ruined, plot events I did not agree with, and the like (I apologize if you like TOG, this is my personal opinion). But, reading ACOTAR was stepping into a whole other world.

I'll say it now, I believe that ACOTAR is my favorite series, a seat that has been held by the Mortal Instruments for over five years. At the very least, they are tied.

Staring with the first book, A Court of Thornes and Roses, I had some prejudices going into it. If you have a social media account and follow anything Sarah J Maas related I'm sure you've seen Rhysand. So, I believed that Rhysand would make an appearance in the first chapter or so. But no, reading the summary its clear to see that this is a story between Tamlin and Feyre.

That being said, I never truly hopped onto the Tamlin and Feyre train. I was always looking at Tamlin, wondering what he would do to make people not talk about him. By the end of the novel, I knew. I also knew why everybody was talking about Rhysand. And why yes, I did guess about a couple things in the novel and I'm still pretty proud of myself because I never see anything coming, ever.

The plot? It was epic and amazing. I loved the aspects of Beauty and the Beast thrown into fey myths. It was familiar yet mysterious and exciting at every turn.

As a series starter? For me, this book was not as strong as other first in a series I have read. That being the case, I only gave this book a four star review. Yes, I compared it to Throne of Glass, probably one of my favorite firsts in a series of all time (right behind City of Bones, of course). ACOTAR just didn't start off the series in the same way, not that it was bad. It was wonderful. It was a necessary start to the series.

I would like to say something...the next book, A Court of Mist and Fury, may possibly be one of my favorite books of all time, ever. With that, let's carry on.

There's not a lot I can say about this book without giving away spoilers from the first novel. Just the fact that its based upon Hades and Persephone, which is common knowledge.

I can say, however, that I loved everything about this book. I loved the plot, I loved the characters, I loved the ships, I loved the Night Court. I think most of the fandom will agree when me when I say that I also hate the one person most people hate. I hate them with a passion.

The ending on this novel tore my heart into pieces. It was so beautiful and epic, the one statement that was said, I nearly cried. And then SJM goes crushing my heart.

The final book, the epic conclusion to the Feyre-centered novels was as epic as I expected. I rated this book five stars. Why didn't I love this novel as much as its predecessor? I'm not entirely sure. I got all the feels from this novel but something about ACOMAF just made me love it so much more, not that ACOWAR wasn't amazing, because it was.

The events at the end of the second book play out in the third and I was so frustrated for the first part of it. I just kept reading and flipping the pages because I had to know what would happen next. I needed that certain thing to happen. Probably as much two characters needed each other.

As I got further into the novel I kept wondering what would happen next, kept being surprised, kept being impressed, kept being attacked by feels. And then, I stopped and stared at page 600 of the book and wondered how everything would be tied up in 99 pages.

Let's just say that SJM created a masterpiece. It was truly wonderful and I couldn't expect a better end to the main series of books.

Have you read ACOTAR? Keep watch for my next review which will contain spoilers of the series!