Raven Reads: Rebecca's Book Blog!

Just a bibliophile's blog about books!

No Ordinary Star

No Ordinary Star - M.C. Frank A fairy in the Arctic, a tin solider in the future, and a mysterious clock that keeps the world balanced; what exactly is this story about? That's what I ventured to find out as I began my read of No Ordinary Star - or NOS - by M.C. Frank.

Five stars is the review I give this novel and there are five reasons why (or maybe six).

First off, the style of writing. The words look so inviting on the page and reading through them I never felt overwhelmed by vocabulary, imagery or pages and pages of dialogue which could do in the best books for me. The pacing of the novel is set at a perfect pace. Rarely do I actually finish a novel in one sitting but that's exactly what happened when I picked up this novel.

Secondly, the mystery of the novel is what drew me in in the first place. The summary of NOS left me wanting to read about where in the world this story could even go. I was intrigued from the start. I wanted to find out more about our characters, about the year they lived in, about the mysteriously Clockmaster, and about how the world go so screwed up in the first place. I'll just say, which the answers I was provided with in this book I was not disappointed.

Third and fourth, our dashing and daring lead guy and gal. Oh, how I've already fallen in love with our two main characters, tin solider and match girl. It's no secret that I have a weakness for dashing male protagonists such as our leading man himself. But female characters? It takes me a little bit longer to form a connection. Match girl is the exception. I don't know what it is about this fiery red-head but I loved her immediately. And, may I get a boarding pass for this ship please?

Lastly, the genre. Science fiction is a subject that I know and love; I'll reach for anything with the tag! Unfortunately, sometimes this genre causes stories to become too jammed packed, too out-there. Did NOS ever feel like this while I was reading it? Never. It's 2525 and let me tell you the world is a lot different. But the aspects of this futuristic time don't seem too far fetched. It's easy to believe.

But, hold the presses. I cannot end this review without talking about how gorgeous of a cover this book has. I mean, I could stare at it all day. As someone who is guilty of cover-buying books this cover certainly meets my standards.

All in all, No Ordinary Star is a truly amazing and unique read. It captivated me from the beginning till the end and I cannot wait to see where the sequel leads.

(I was provided with an ebook of No Ordinary Star in exchange for an honest review)